Friday, September 28, 2012

Guest post: Wendy Delsol

Hi! It's Hilda. Yes, unlike popular belief, I'm still alive! Due to health issue, I have to limit my time on computer. Hopefully I'll be good and running fine soon! Please pray for me, lovelies. <3

Today, I have a guest post from Wendy Delsol, author of famous Stork series! :)


Destiny, Prophecy, and Karma


I am intrigued by the concepts of destiny, prophecy, and karma. All should probably be added to the cast of characters, they’re such an integral part of my narrator Katla’s story.

In fact, the very creative spark for the series has to do with destiny. Years ago, on the TV show Unsolved Mysteries, there was a story about a very young boy who claimed pre-birth memories of hovering and choosing his mother. Yes! Choosing! This rocked my world. And it got me thinking that we normally consider the soul from a post-death perspective. But what about pre-birth? Much later, when brainstorming for something fresh in the YA paranormal genre, I tweaked the idea to invent my human Storks, white witches charged with pairing souls and mothers.  And when Candlewick Press asked me to provide an author’s quote for Stork’s book jacket, this was my response: “The concept of destiny is fascinating, as is the idea of magic. It’s fun to think that we’re fated—or chosen—to be with those we love.”

But I don’t personally believe that we are helpless puppets to the forces of destiny and prophecy. Nor do I think any self-respecting protagonist should be powerless or without free will. Ever! And this is where, for me, karma comes in. Hulda, my wise leader of the Storks is one of the books’ prophets and sums it up best: “Karma is the turning of the wheel and is very important to the ancient religions of the Orient. Is much like fate, but they believe karma is our will as we swim in the river of our past and present. We cannot change the course of the river, but the strokes of our swim influence our destination.” 

Note: I made up the bit about the river (fiction is such a lovely thing). The Storks have their own cosmology, after all. It has roots in Norse mythology, but I may have dropped a realm (or two) if they didn’t serve my purpose.

And the idea of destiny sure gives an author some excellent material when it comes time to flesh out a love interest. Katla and Jack first met when they were just ten years old. Katla was visiting her grandparents at the time, and Jack was instantly smitten. Present day, he recalls the experience (in Stork): “It’s hard to explain,” he said, “but from the moment I laid eyes on you skating, I felt this unshakable sense of fate, or destiny, or whatever you want to call it.”

In Flock, Jinky—a character who is equal parts wise and wiseass—says to Katla: “As spiritual beings, we have to act on our premonitions. To ignore a gift, to not rise to the calling, is a willful defiance of our true purpose. For us, there is no coincidence, no chance.”

In the end, Katla’s journey is to embrace her gift, to accept the journey it requires, and to kick butt when butt-kicking’s necessary. Happy reading!

Thank you for stopping by my blog, Wendy! Destiny and prophecy have always been hot topic in YAs. And instant-smitten is just soo cute! ;)

You can learn more about Wendy Delsol here:


A Little Bit About Wendy Delsol
 
Wendy Delsol is the author of a young adult trilogy: STORK (2010), FROST (2011), and FLOCK (2012). The books are inspired by Norse mythology, adventure and Icelandic folklore. STORK was one of 25 titles out of over 1000 to receive a 2010 VOYA Perfect Ten and one of ten to win a 2011 Westchester Fiction Award. Delsol’s adult novel, THE McCLOUD HOME FOR WAYWARD GIRLS, was named an August 2011 Barnes and Noble Pick of the Week. The book is set in Iowa and tells the story of three generations of women and the secrets that bind them. Wendy has an undergraduate degree from Michigan State University and a graduate degree from California State University, Long Beach. She was born in Canada, grew up in Michigan, lived in Los Angeles for 20 years and now resides in Des Moines with her husband and two teen sons.


Grab your copy of Flock!

The climactic conclusion of a supernatural romantic trilogy starring a savvy, sharp-tongued heroine who taps into ancient Norse secrets.

After surviving her (shall we say) intense adventure in Iceland, Katla is psyched to be back for a blissfully uneventful senior year of homecoming and fashion explorations. But her hopes of dodging unfinished business are dashed by the arrival of two Icelandic exchange students: Marik, an oddly alluring merman-in-disguise, and Jinky, a tough gypsy girl. It seems Katla not only enraged the Snow Queen by rescuing her boyfriend, Jack, she also was tricked into promising her frail baby sister to the water queen — and Marik has come to collect. What’s worse, Katla doesn’t dare confide in anyone lest she endanger them, so even her soul mate, Jack, is growing suspicious. And now Katla’s stork dreams, her guide for matching babies with mothers, have become strange and menacing as well. Hold on for a thrilling finale as the heroine of Stork and Frost calls on her wits (and her wit) to protect those she loves and face a final mythic disaster.


Thanks for reading! <3 Have a wonderful Friday, everyone! :)


13 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, ladies! As a true control freak, I shy away from thoughts of karma, destiny, or anything else that would make me think I'm not in control. However, the balance between what is predetermined and what in in our control is always interesting to read about.
    I bough a copy of Stork as soon as it came out, and it's about time for me to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HILDA!!!! Your alive!! =D I was starting to worry about you! I'm so sorry your having health problems =( I will keep you in my prayers <3

    Interesting guest post, I've never heard of this series before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HILDA!!!! I've missed you so much <333 I'm so sorry about the health problems - I hope you get better soon. Sending some bear-hugs, hot water bottles and comfort books your way!

    I'm not sure how I feel about karma, I do believe though that when you're doing good things, you shouldn't automatically expect something back, you know what I mean? And things like fate and destiny just confuse me - we can change our fates, right?

    Fab post, Hilda and Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful guest post, Hilda! I don't know if I believe in karma or not, but I think it's a cool concept and it's nice to think that it does, in fact, exist. I love the ideas of this post and it's so eloquently written, so it seems I'll have to check out the book at once! Fabulous post, as usual! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i happy to start this trilogy soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. HILDA YAAAAAY!!! I have missed you and your posts so, so, so, so much and have been checking Catch the Lune everday to see if your back. Aw, I'm really sorry about your health issues, but hope you get better ASAP. If I could, I'd bring you some cheer-up prezzies (mainly books and chocolate!) right now! :D

    And what a fab guest post. I have always been unsure whether I believe in karma or not, but it would be nice if things like fate and destiny are true. <3


    Thanks for sharing, Hilda and Wendy! And once again, welcome sort-of back, Hilda! <333 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to say that this is the first time I'm hearing of this series. Great guest post, I find karma an interesting theory, though not really sure I believe in it, and sometimes hoping it's real lol. Sorry to hear you're having some health problems Hilda, hope you will be sorted soon. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful guest post Hilda and Wendy, I too like Suzanne, hadn't heard of this series before. But I'm definitely intrigued! Hilda hope you're okay! Sending loads of hugs your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very interesting and thoughtful post from Wendy there! Thanks for sharing. :) Also, a little irrelevant, but I love the cover of Flock. It looks beautiful. :)

    Aww I hope you are okay, Hilda. Sending warm thoughts your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilda!! Welcome back from your hiatus! I hope you are doing okay now and I wish you the best of health, strength and happiness. We missed you, love, and hopefully will get to see you more often. :) <3 *hugs*

    And also, this is a really interesting interview. I haven't heard of this series (though vaguely of the author) but I'm really fascinated now. The themes she explored are fascinating (destiny, prophecy and karma are topics I'd like to one day explore in greater depth). Thank you for sharing, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post :) I'm glad to hear something from you. I miss you and your posts, so I hope you are okay. *virtual hug*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to see you back Hilda...hope you feel better.

    Thanks for the post. I like the idea of fate, destiny, etc. as well. It's an interesting concept for sure.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hildaa. Hope you are feeling better. Miss you on the blogosphere <3 Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing your opinion so please leave a comment! I will do my best to return the favor, and sometimes I also reply here. Please don't hesitate to share your fabulous thought with me ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...