Thursday, November 22, 2012

Review: Beauty by Lisa Daily


Imagine waking up in one morning and finding out that you are the most beautiful girl in town.

Molly, like average teenagers, doesn’t like the way she looks. She is too self-conscious about her appearance, and it doesn’t help that she has the biggest crush to a boy in her neighborhood, Hudson, who isn’t even aware of her existence. After a humiliating incident involving a stuffed monkey, the prettiest girl in her school, and a country-fair-went-wrong, all Molly wants is just to curl up and die. When she’s looking for a spot in the fair to hide herself away, she meets Dharma, a mysterious artist who offered to draw a sketch of Molly. She also offers to listen to Molly’s problem, and Molly agrees.

“It’s just … it’s unfair. I wish I could be like that, you know?” … “Like Ashley.” I picked at a blade of grass, watching the water roll over my toes. “I wish I could be the most beautiful girl in Miracle.”

In a town named Miracle, miracle happens for real. The day after, Molly wakes up and finds out that the distance between her eyes has shortened, her cheekbones become higher, and in result, she has the most beautiful face in Miracle. Now Hudson finally notices her, and the popular crowd wants Molly to join their exclusive group. But what if that’s not what Molly really wants?

I’ve read books with similar plot to Beauty, but it’s still a very entertaining read! It was very easy to get lost in the story. I found myself giggling and squealing along with Molly when everyone in school starts fawning at her feet. It was pretty fun to read the good parts when people worshiped her. The writing, although not amazing, is great and very easy to follow.

Beauty, although extremely predictable, is such a cute read. Sure, there are plot holes and unrealistic parts that bugged me a little, but I just brushed them off and enjoyed Molly’s story. I found the story refreshing after reading too much books with stories that I have to analyze. I think most readers can relate to Molly’s story easily. There is always a time when we wish that we were prettier, that we were as beautiful as girls in magazines. Although in the end, just like Molly, we realize that what matters is the inside, not the outside. :)

Beauty is a short and cute read, and I’d recommend this for younger readers or for those who are looking for a light read. This book is something that you can finish in one sitting, and even though the story is not exactly something new or exceptionally amazing, it’s a fun book to read in your spare time.

And it wasn’t just my features. It was something else too—a certain je ne sais quoi as my dad would say—something that drew my eyes to the mirror and made them never want to look away. Something that seemed to emanate out of me, warm and alluring, like a fire on a freezing night. Something that made me want to step closer, look closer, like there was this magnetic pull to me. I was captivating. I was enchanting. I was … beautiful.

This was not possible.






I rated it:
Three cups of tea. I like it.  Recommended to read in spare time.

19 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds like such an adorable read Hilda, I think I may end up liking this, I may have to squeeze it in between a couple of intense reads! Thanks for putting this on my radar hun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this sounds like a really sweet read, Hilda! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this sounds like a sweet story! I love books that are a bit fluffy, so I don't have to over think everything that happens. And I think that we all can relate in a certain way with Molly. It should be fun to see how it is to become the most prettiest girl :p Lovely review!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sound of this. It sounds like a fun and cute read. Great tease as always! :)

    Sangita @ Whisper of Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, this sounds like such a cute read, Hilda! I love that despite the predictability, you were able to enjoy this one and I'll have to add it to my TBR at once for the times when I need a read just like this one. Amazing review, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, books like this can still be fun to read even if the plot is similar to many other books. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I spotted it on Goodreads months ago but haven't read much about it since. Your review might be one of my first for this actually. Beautiful review, Hilda darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the light reads that don't take themselves too seriously. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to be entertained and nothing else. Although I do hope Hudson turns out to have a bit more depth than what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard much about this book, but I have known about it for awhile now. The cover was what caught my eye, but the premise sounds pretty mediocre, and not much. I'm glad you reviewed this book for us, Hilda! It sounds like a cute read that's definitely a bit fluffy. The main character Molly sounds a little shallow, too. >.< Perhaps I'll pick it up sometime. Lovely review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw this really does sound like a sweet book! I totally get what you mean about books being predictable but enjoying it anyway. Sometimes that's just what you need. Wonderful review, Hilda! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cover is breathtaking, kinda reminds me of a cotton candy. I agree, the plot seems generic. Sweet review, Hilda :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our view of ourselves and whether or not we're beautiful factors in so heavily in our self-esteem. This story seems to highlight those issues. Wonderful review Hilda and I love you quotes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute reads are kind of my thing, and reading your review makes me want to give this one a look, even if I don't really like predictability. I want a book to thrill me with twists and turns! But I always give fluff a try... Great review!

    --Megan @ Book Brats

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love quick reads like this one- something cute, bubbly, and fun! I actually just finished a book like that, and it was so refreshing to read it inbetween the much heavier stuff I have lined up for myself. Sometimes, even if a book has some plot holes and such, you just need something adorable to read. And I think that I could overlook some of the predictability and plot holes in this one, just to enjoy the story.

    Fantastic review Hilda! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds very light and fluffy: perfect for my reading slump, perhaps? I really love the concept of people's views of 'pretty' and I adore any books which deal with self-consciousness, something teen girl will all come across in their days. I'm eager to see how Molly deals with her new-found popularity, maybe I'll giggle and squeal like you, Hilda!

    I'm glad you enjoyed this despite the predictability, Hilds <3 Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Despite its predictability and plot inconsistencies, I'm glad you were entertained by this story, Hilda! It sounds like a brain candy sort of read for a rainy day, which might be great for during the winter break for me perhaps. Fabulous review, dear! :) I'm really pleased that you enjoyed this, for the most part!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely review as usual. Sometimes it really is nice to just sit back and enjoy a "fun" or "cute" book. I'm glad it has a nice message and you enjoyed it for the most part. Doesn't sound like something I'd particularly enjoy, but who knows?

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like reads like this! Sometimes I want a book where I don't have to think too hard or take notes and it's just fun and easy to read!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm..I don't think I've heard of this book before but it sounds really interesting! I love the quote you put before the end of your review too!

    Awesome review, Hilda ♥ Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds cute, it's always nice to take a break from your usual genres and read something light. Great review, Hilda! <3

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing your opinion so please leave a comment! I will do my best to return the favor, and sometimes I also reply here. Please don't hesitate to share your fabulous thought with me ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...