Thursday, February 02, 2012

Review : Grace by Elizabeth Scott





Grace was raised to be an Angel, a herald of death by suicide bomb. But she refuses to die for the cause, and now Grace is on the run, daring to dream of freedom. In search of a border she may never reach, she travels among malevolent soldiers on a decrepit train crawling through the desert. Accompanied by the mysterious Kerr, Grace struggles to be invisible, but the fear of discovery looms large as she recalls the history and events that delivered her uncertain fate.

Told in spare, powerful prose by acclaimed author Elizabeth Scott, this tale of a dystopian near future will haunt readers long after they've reached the final page.

I love Elizabeth Scott’s work ‘Living Dead Girl’. A five-star book, Living Dead Girl is a wicked, yet charming story and it keeps me haunted for weeks. I read Grace in the expectation of another haunting feeling. The premise is wonderful, and I’ve been dying to read it.

Grace is a beautiful work, but it doesn’t leave me much impression. I felt sympathy for Grace and her miserable life as a suicide bomber. I can understand her longing for freedom and I really hope that she can run away to somewhere safe. However, when I close the book, I feel like I haven’t really understood about her world. I think that the dictator, Keran Berj, is an evil man, but that’s all. I don’t feel any fear or extreme hatred toward the man.

The twists of event in this book don’t fail to surprise me though. I also love the vivid delineation of the character’s background. I think this should be a series because the ending is too abrupt for my taste. I don’t want to spoil the ending though, please read it in your own! In summary, I like the book, but it’s not my favorite.

I was supposed to die before I turned seventeen. I was supposed to drift up into the sky, into the arms of the Saints. I was an Angel, and I was supposed to honor the People. I was supposed to show that we won’t be bent to Keran Berj’s will, that we have resources beyond the Rorys.

I had no wings that could help me fly away. To get away from the bomb that was made for me. That was my life. Sometimes, I don’t think there is anything beyond what is here, what is now. I think that maybe beyond this world—this train, this desert we are passing through, this heat swelling all around—there is nothing.

I rate this book: 
3 maples! Like it, but doesn’t give me much impression. Recommended to read in spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing your opinion so please leave a comment! I will do my best to return the favor, and sometimes I also reply here. Please don't hesitate to share your fabulous thought with me ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...