Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Review: Cat Girl's Day Off by Kimberly Pauley


Natalie can speak to cat. It sounds like a cool ability, but compared to her family’s ability, hers sounds like a ‘party trick’ talent. Her older sister has three super cool Talents, including being a human lie detector. Her younger sister can ‘disappear’ like a chameleon. Her mother has really high IQ and laser vision. Her father’s nose is hypersensitive and he can tell each bit of chemical component in things.

When Natalie’s friend Oscar shows her a funny video of a crazy cat attacking her famous owner, Natalie understands instantly what the cat’s problem. The pink cat in the video screams for help, and Nat is the only person in the world who understands him. Some people’s lives are in danger, and it all depends to Cat Girl and her spunky friends to save the day…

If there were a ‘lovely book award’, Cat Girl’s Day Off would be one of the biggest candidates. With brilliant dialogues between a snobby pink cat and a girl with purple streak in her hair, this book delivers tons of fun and laughter scenes. I almost feel sympathetic to see Natalie dragged by her celebrity-obsessed best friends to movie sets. It’s her unwillingness to get caught up in the mystery that made me want to smile. But Natalie has real sense of justice and in the end you can expect her to be the superhero.

Cat Girl’s Day Off has enough mystery, light romance, and craziness to keep you engaged in the story. Plus, lots of cats! As a cat person, the whole cat-talking thing earns extra brownie point from me. Who doesn’t want to exchange snarky remarks with this furry creature? The pink cat in this story, Rufus Brutus the Third (or you can call him Tiddlywinks), certainly has attitude, but he’s so fabulous that I’m willing to adopt him as my pet.

I hope that someday I could see this book adapted into a movie or TV series. There are so many things-gone-wrong scenes in this book that makes me wish to watch it played by real actors. Cat Girl’s Day Off makes a remarkable story for teenage readers, and I think I would enjoy this story even more if I were younger. However, if you’re generally a cat whisperer like me and in need of something light and easy to read, then this book should be your first choice! Natalie and her friends (including a number of exceptional cats) will bring you along in their crazy and hilarious adventure.

Oscar snorted but then turned serious. “You have to do something,” he said. “It’s your duty.”

“It’s my duty? What are you talking about?” I turned away from the window to look at him.

Oscar tapped the seat in front of him for emphasis. “You’ve seen Spider-Man,” he said. “‘With great power comes great responsibility.’ It’s your duty to do something about Easton. You’re the only one on the planet who could’ve seen that video and known something was wrong. That’s kismet.”






 I rate this book:
Three cups of tea. I like it.  Recommended to read in spare time.

17 comments:

  1. Another lovely review, Hilda! This sounds so fun and quirky and the girl can SPEAK to cats?! Wow, I'm pretty sure you won't see that in any other book :D And I'm a sucker for pink kitties, even if they are snobby... I'm so glad you had fun with this book and hopefully I'll get the chance to read it some time - maybe when I'm feeling down and need something to cheer me up! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pink cat is a winner! This sounds lovely and adorable . I love that everyone in this family has a talent (I'd love to have Mom's, it would have saved me many hours in the past).
    You're right about this being great TV series material. I can totally imagine it and I'd definitely watch it, even though I don't really watch TV.
    Wonderful review as always, Hilda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds sooo different and fun! I will absolutely have to check it out. Lovely review Hilda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely want to read this now. The story sounds so unique. Everything about it sounds so unique even the cover. A cat with a attitude. Now that, i got to see.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds SO cute! I wish I could actually talk with my cats, I mean I talk to them but I wish they could talk back :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing review, Hilda! This looks like a really fun and unique read! It also sounds pretty hilarious actually, but I'm all for giving this a shot as I adore cats. :D I agree that this should be turned into a movie and I haven't even read the book yet! I just love the idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHA! This book sound hilarious. I mean how cool would it be if you could actually talk to cats? That sounds a little weird, but you know it's true! I'll definitely be giving this book a chance, thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so not a cat person but for some reason I don't mind them in books. Natalie sounds like an awesome chick. I like that her ability seems to be the quirkiest one out of a family of superheroes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo! I've actually heard of this book and the author but never got the chance to read her books! Although, this one sounds very interesting! I should give this book a try soon! :)

    PS: Sorry I haven't been commenting on your blog lately! :(

    Anyway, Awesome review, Hilda! <3 SO glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Hilda. I've only known you, for like, a week, but I FEEL like I've known you my whole life. Like you are my long-lost sister or something?! Sorry if I'm creeping you out, but I just feel like you GET me so well sometimes!! Like, I could have very well written this review!! XD Plus, talking to cats?? Pshh.... biggie... I do it every day.

    *crickets*

    *crickets*

    Err.. What I meant to say, is that I would LOVE to be able to do that. *Tries to redeem sorry self and fails* Anyway!! Umm.. I have heard so much about Kimberly Pauley so I think I'm going to give it a go just to see what it's like, and to get a taste of her writing style. Lovely review, sweet Hilda!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow ! Sounds like a really really cute book, Hilda ! :)
    I've seen it around but I never checked it out, but it seems like you liked it :)
    It's interesting that everyone has like "powers" in the family !
    Great review, Hilda :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this sounds like such an adorable read Hilda, I'm not really a cat person, but I think I will enjoy this book! Fab review Hilda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hilda, this sounds ADORABLE!!!! I'd love to talk to cats and understand what they are saying! What an underrated but AWESOME gift xD It sounds so cute and entertaining and FUN. The quote was so quirky. I want to read this book so badly!! Thanks for the super cute review of what seems like a reeally cute book! Definitely reading this one soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, this sounds like such a cute and quirky book! I'm a fan of cats so this book seems totally up my alley. It seems like a book guaranteed to make you smile. I like a pink cat with an attitude. :D Lovely review x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hilda, I seriously wish you'd write a gazillion reviews every single day because 1) you always find the most adorable & sweet & awesome-sounding books! and 2) you always write such smile-worthy reviews! <3 This book sounds SO Mimi-ish -- I mean, it can't get any better than talking to cats, and you know a book is awesome when you want it to be adapted onto the big screen! ;)

    Amazing review, Hilda! I ADDED THIS :)

    P.S. Yes, I am a cat whisperer. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh :') <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilda, this sounds so cute and adorable!! I am a total cat person. I talk to my cats (I don't advertise that bit of information!) but unfortunately, they can't talk back. The pink cat sound hilarious. I think this would be really fun adapted for TV or a movie. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing your opinion so please leave a comment! I will do my best to return the favor, and sometimes I also reply here. Please don't hesitate to share your fabulous thought with me ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...