Thursday, June 21, 2012

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu


3.5 stars


It has been two months since Zoel started glitching. Whenever she glitches, her senses become sharper. She can see colors in things, tastes food, and feel emotion she doesn’t know what to call. Zoel knows that she has to report herself, but she keeps delaying it. She doesn’t want to be deactivated yet. She will hide her glitching, although it means that she has to betray her community.

When an aquamarine-eyed boy, Adrien, saves her from deactivation, Zoel follows him to his home and learns the truth about her community. Adrien told her that he has vision of Zoel leading the rebellion, but will his vision come true? Will she still remember her mission when her memory is wiped again?

Without the Link and its constant instruction, I was completely lost. This boy had offered me escape, but I had no idea what came next. He did.

I like the science-fiction aspects in this book. It’s kind of cool reading about the arm panel and access port in the back of the neck. These people are half cyborg, and it’s very interesting to know that they actually have heart pumping blood to every part of the body. Children are made in laboratories, carefully selected features from compatible mates. People in Zoel’s world are treated like slaves, incapable of any human emotions like love or beauty, and they don’t even have choice. When they’re old and not in the ‘productive’ age anymore, they’re simply deactivated. It’s impossible not to feel any pity toward this community.

Zoel, or as she prefers to be called Zoe, is a very interesting character. I think it’s clear that this book is intended for younger audience. She has overwhelming urge to save the day, and she wants to save everyone, even the villains, in the process. I expected to see more ruthless side of Zoe, but I like her naïve and kind side too. She’s the kind of heroine you would love if you’re more into strong yet compassionate heroine.

The love triangle is very strange and a bit messy. I don’t think that Max ever has any chance to get into Zoe’s heart. I usually feel sad for the guy whom the heroine doesn’t choose but in this case, it’s very hard to feel sympathetic toward Max. He’s possessive, selfish, and forceful. Zoe doesn’t feel the same way Max wants him, but it’s not the reason for him to shout at her or act like a child. Max does have some positive points, but most of the time these qualities are overshadowed by his dark side.

Glitch might not offer you something provoking, but you may want to read this book in your spare time. I did quite enjoy this book and look forward to read the continuation of this series. I hope I would get more attached to Zoe and learn more about their powers in the second book.

“Fell in love?” I frowned. “Love makes you fall?”

He laughed a little. He paused, looking up toward his brain, something I noticed he did when he was thinking. “It’s just a saying. It means that two people start loving each other. I guess because it can feel really sudden and because it’s powerful. Like gravity— an unstoppable force.”

“Love is like gravity?” I was still puzzling out the concept. “It sounds violent.”

He laughed and nodded. “But in a good way.”







I rate this book:
Four cups of tea. Amazing! Love the book, it’s simply awesome. I love the tea flavor!  A strong recommendation.

20 comments:

  1. Lovely review, Hilda! I'm glad you mostly enjoyed this. I've heard some fairly negative things about the love triangle and Max so I guess you're not the only one to not feel very sympathetic towards him. The rest sounds good though! I'm still a little unsure if it would be for me due to all the mixed reviews, but I'm eager to find out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one so much more I did. I guess the book just wasn't for me. I agree that the love triangle was very messy and that Max was a creep. I too enjoyed the sci-fi elements but I wished it was explored a little bit more.
    Great review, Hilda ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just about to start this so I haven't read your review but I'm sorry to see you only gave it 3.5 stars. I'll compare with yours after I've read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love that quote at the end! So adorable. <3 You just reminded me that I have to download Glitch from NetGalley before it gets Archived! I plan on reading this sometime this summer, although it's not on my priority list anymore. It sounds like one of those fun type books, perfect for reading outside [which is what I plan to do!]. The sci-fi elements sounds really cool, I look forward to reading about them.

    Lovely review, Hilda! <3

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed it overall. It would be a bit odd to have such a naive main character, but I suppose there's nothing wrong with wanting to save the bad guys too. I did really enjoy the quote you shared. How cute.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should be reading this book soon. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Hilda! The other two reviews I've read on this have been negative ones... I'm very curious about the world it's set in! I cannot imagine living the way the people in the world of Glitch live and can imagine how Zoel would've felt after the glitch in her system. DEFINITELY more excited to read this one now. I loved the quote. Great review, Hilda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a soft spot for the name Adrian/Adrien -- I think you can imagine why! x) LOL this book sounds like it has such an intriguing premise, something that sci-fi books don't really do for me! The whole cyborg thing reminds me of Cinder (which I loved), and the whole glitching thing reminds me of... nothing (which I love even more!) ;) And I'm actually kinda curious about Max's dark side LOL

    Amazing honest review, Hilda! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. HILDAAAAA~!!! -cyber hugs- I'm back from hiatus ^_^
    AWWWWW!!! Super review as usual! This seems like an interesting read, and "aquamarine eyes" really intrigues me :3 It's too bad the triangle was a bit disorganized, but nevertheless, a fair review it is, and Vivi enjoyed reading it <333

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome sauce review as usual, Hilda sweetie! <333 I havent read this book yet but your review makes me want to give it a go right now! I want to know so much more about Adrian... *sigh* And Max seems like such an idiot! It's weird, cause every single Max I've known (in books and in real life) has turned out to be a complete and utter jerk! Ugh. But whatever. -.- And just to echo Mimis comment, when you said Cyborg, my mind went straight I Cinder, which I read recently and LOVED, like so much. :) Amazing review, Hilda!! I really admire your honesty and passion and your awesome review writing ways, chicky! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY FOR SCI-FI! Boo for the love triangle, it sounds like it doesn't really work in this book. I might pick this up if I have time but for now, I'll probably pass on it. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to get to this soon! I'm glad you enjoyed it, despite having some issues. And I didn't even realise it was part of a series! Wonderful review my love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review, Hil! I haven't heard much about it but I'm glad that you mention the messy love triangle (doesn't sound good!) but the sci-fi aspect could be a bit of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I didn't know that this book would be aiming for a younger audience! I'm going to admit that what drew me in was the gorgeous cover. It's beautiful!! <3 I love sci-fi, too, so I think I'll like this one. If I can get over the love triangle... Sigh. Haha. Amazing review, Hilda! <33

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooo! I've been wanting to read this book and the cover is absolutely gorgeous! It sounds like a great book!

    Awesome review, Hilda! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review Hilda! It's too bad that the love triangle wasn't the greatest! I really wanted to read it considering the cover is so awesome! (Purple is my favourite colour)! but now I think I might just borrow it from the library sometime. However I adore science fiction and I am glad to hear Zoe is a cool protagonist! Thanks for the amazing review (as usual!).

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great review Hilda! =) This one doesn't sound like its for me, I don't like the whole cyborg thing, which I discovered by reading Cinder. Also, I'm SO sick of love triangles! It's so overdone in YA. Anywho, I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gah! I'm sad you didn't love this one, actually LOL I was expecting for this to be one of my favorite reads of the year... Oh, well. Hadn't imagined it to be aimed at younger readers! The story sounds nice though. What a pity there's a love triangle, but that doesn't really work. But I liked the quotes, so I'm still having my hopes up for this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I'm so excited I got this one just now and I can't wait to read it. I've been curious for quite some time! It sucks Max was a character you didn't enjoy though, especially as he's in the love triangle.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've waited for your review of this book and glad you could enjoy it =) At least it can convince me that I could enjoy it too.
    Once I read the summary, I instantly hooked because it sounds really cool and I'm so excited to get this although I read lots twisted reviews. I hope my copy will come soon ^^
    Awesome review as usual, Hilda!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you enjoyed Glitch. I've just read and reviewed it and thought it was entertaining, even if I didn't quite love it. I'm waiting to make up my mind on the series with the sequel, as I think this still has potential :)

    Katja @ YA's the Word

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing your opinion so please leave a comment! I will do my best to return the favor, and sometimes I also reply here. Please don't hesitate to share your fabulous thought with me ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...