Sunday, March 02, 2014

Review: Gone Girl by Gililian Flynn

Title: Gone Girl
Author: Gillian Flynn
Publication Date: January 2013
Publisher: Phoenix
Goodreads

From Goodreads:
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media--as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents--the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter--but is he really a killer? 

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?




What are you thinking? How are you feeling? Who are you? What have we done to each other? What will we do?

So I am taking a creative writing class this semester, and the class is using Gotham Writers Workshop: Writing Fiction as the handbook. The handbook is pretty good; it talks about creating desire for your characters and giving them good and bad traits and showing readers that the characters have the ability to change. I was reading Gone Girlat that time, and I was like, “OH.” No wonder there are so many praises for this book.

Because Nick and Amy, the main characters for this book, possess all the quality for good characters in a book. They have desire, they have their own amazing and condemning traits, and we can see how they change throughout the story. They are two of the most intricate characters I’ve ever met, carefully woven and crafted with the most absolute care. There are so many twists in this story that I actually laughed out loud when I reached the second part of the book. I didn’t see it coming and I loved it.

This is the psychological thriller I don’t even know I’m yearning for. It’s too cynical for my taste, yes, but I have to admit that it’s so cleverly written it blew me away. I had hard time putting down this book. I even bring this book everywhere in my bag – thankfully I bought the pocket book edition – and read it between classes. I need to know what actually happen in the mystery. This slow-pacing mystery that almost drove me crazy in the first part of the book.

This book brought me on an emotional turmoil in which I want to hug/smack a character every few pages. Often wishing the actions at the same time. I sympathize Nick then I hate him then I love Amy then I found out everything is not what we were told to believe in. So, yeah. Nick and Amy play a very clever game with a bizarre result. I do think that in a way, they deserve each other. {spoiler, highlight to read} Let’s cross fingers and hope that they won’t slit each other’s throats anytime soon.

Gone Girl may start out seeming like your average story, but I assure you there’s nothing average about this story. It will mess up with your mind in a way, and just like the praise on the back cover of the book: you will feel the urge to beg others to read it, only so you can discuss this book with them. Brilliant and delightfully written, Gone Girl is a must read for anyone looking for great psychological thriller novel.

I was told love should be unconditional. That’s the rule, everyone says so. But if love has no boundaries, no limits, no conditions, why should anyone try to do the right thing ever? If I know I am loved no matter what, where is the challenge?





 4 cups of tea!
Wrecked my mind in a way.



15 comments:

  1. First of, YAY for taking a Creative Writing class! I really want to sign up for one soon since it seems like a ton of fun. :)

    I know my mom tried to read this one, but it wound up being so slow that she just couldn't get into it and never returned to it. I do want to give it a try, though. It seems like such an intriguing novel and from the synopsis itself I'm just dying to know what happens. Lovely review, Hilda! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun indeed, Keertana! We read many good short stories that blew me away with their beautiful prose and stunning plots. You really should! :)

      The beginning was very slow, but once we get the mystery going on, it was awesome. <3 Thanks, hun! :)

      Delete
  2. Great review Hilda! I don't usually read adult fiction but I am tempted to pick this up. I love psychological thrillers and this one is obviously good. Plus it's being turned into a movie with Ben Affleck & Rosamund Pike so I have to go see it, haha ;)

    Enjoy your creative writing class, sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! :) Haha, I really want to see the movie too! I hope it'll be good. :)

      Thanks hun! :)

      Delete
  3. That's great you really liked this one! I love Gillian Flynn. I've read and adored her first two books (especially Dark Places) and while I bought Gone Girl when it came out, I haven't had time to read it yet. Maybe this summer before the film comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of her other books but I'll make sure to check it out later! It's just they're so thick... so intimidating haha. x)

      Delete
  4. I'm on the waiting list for this audio book at the library. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did. Thanks for sharing your thoughts =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hope you'll enjoy it when you read it! :D

      Delete
  5. I've been hesitant to read this book because it's gotten such great reviews and I don't want to be the odd one out like I usually am. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, hopefully you won't be the odd one in this one, Lan! :)

      Delete
  6. It's great that you're taking a writing course, I hope you're enjoying it! And I have heard such good things about this book, it sounds like it really got to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tiring but so fun so far, Mandee! :) I love the intricate plots and the characters, but yeah... a bit too cynical for me in some parts hehe. :D

      Delete
  7. Hilda oh my gosh I have to agree this book totally messed with my head, but I loved every single minute. That big twist in the middle completely blew me away and I also had a hate/love relationship with both Nick and Amy. I actually stayed up way late reading this book, as I knew how things would end, next time I should just buy a pocket edition like you! Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! THE BIG TWIST. Never expected it and LOVED it. <3 Nick and Amy are just a really weird couple, right? I'm so glad that you loved this book as well, hun! Pocket is the best, it's small and easy to carry around everywhere hehe. ;) Thanks Jasprit! :)

      Delete
  8. Gone Girl is a couldn't-put-it-down page turner. But it also left me feeling sad and a little depressed. While Gillian Flynn successfully created two compelling yet pathetic characters, she did it using a fair amount of gritty, graphic language I could have done without.

    Aya,
    suggested Fly-In Alaska Salmon Fishing Luxury Lodge website

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing your opinion so please leave a comment! I will do my best to return the favor, and sometimes I also reply here. Please don't hesitate to share your fabulous thought with me ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...