Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen


This lullaby is only a few words
A simple run of chords
Quiet here in this spare room
But you can hear it, hear it
Wherever you may go
I will let you down
But this lullaby plays


Remy doesn’t believe in love. Her mother’s fifth marriage only encourages her to stop believing in the nonsense. To her, love means having fun with guys, making sure that they know the relationship won’t last long, and leaving before things get complicated. No worries. No entanglements. The no-strings-attached rule has worked well for Remy, until her encounter with Dexter. Dexter is the only exception from the long list of Remy’s perfect exes. He’s messy, hyperactive, and a musician with seemingly no future. Remy has vowed to herself to think of Dexter only as a summer boyfriend, but what if Dexter wants more? What if their relationship means something more than just summer fling?

This is official: Sarah Dessen is the best when it comes to contemporary YA. Her books may follow similar path, but each of it remains unique and special. Some people may find the slow pacing in her stories boring, but I think that’s what makes her books amazing. The progress in the relationship between the main characters is very subtle. There are so much deeper meanings in the sweet little things they do. I really like it that what starts the relationship is always offer of kindness and friendship.

In the last part of the book, it’s always the heroine who takes the important action to alter their story. I think that’s very crucial, because then it means there is no magical salvation or something like that. Dexter may help Remy to believe in love, but he can’t fix Remy’s problem with her mother or her sarcastic attitude toward people around her. Remy has to be the one who takes the last step if she wants to change herself.

I think my most favorite part of this book is the time when Remy thinking to buy plastic ware for Dexter. Dexter is living with his band mates in a house where the only dish-ware consists of one ceramic plate, a few mismatched forks and knives, gas-station freebie coffee mugs, and some paper goods. Remy, being a neat freak and perfectionist girl, wants to buy plastic ware for Dexter but she is afraid that the gesture means so much more. This is her first time she is tempted to buy something more permanent than a Zip Coke for his boyfriend. It is very cute to watch her struggling whether or not to buy Dexter plastic ware. I have no idea that something as simple as forks and spoons can be a really romantic thing in a book.

Remy is one wonderful character I warmed throughout the story. I really like her rational thinking and how she is very protective of people she loves. Dexter might not be my favorite Sarah Dessen hero, but he is certainly very funny and sweet! The songs he writes, like The Potato Song, are simply ridiculous but somehow, it makes him even more adorable. I would recommend you to read This Lullaby during summer time because then you can also experience the humid, hot summer nights when Remy and Dexter fall with each other.

And so, while the rest of the world went on unaware, drinking their coffee, reading the sports page, and picking up their dry cleaning, I leaned forward and kissed Dexter, making a choice that would change everything. Maybe somewhere there was a ripple, a bit of a jump, some small shift in the universe, barely noticeable.

I didn't feel it then. I felt only him kissing me back, easing me into the sunlight as I lost myself in the taste of him and felt the world go on, just as it always had, all around us. 



I rated this book: 
 Four cups of tea. Amazing! Love the book, it’s simply awesome. I love the tea flavor!  A strong recommendation.

27 comments:

  1. Amazing review, Hilda! I have always admired Sarah Dessen's writing style am glad that this book was a great read for you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful review I have to shamefully admit that I still haven't read a book by Dessen yet, I've have quite a few on hers but this one sounds amazing, especially your line This Lullaby during summer time because then you can also experience the humid, hot summer nights when Remy and Dexter falls with each other. I will definitely be picking this up in the summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I'm so happy that you enjoyed this book! And I definitely agree that plastic ware scene was probably one of my favorite parts of the book. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I read this book YEARS and YEARS ago! I wasn't a big fan back then but I think it's a book I would appreciate a lot more now.

    This review makes me want to re-read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one a long time ago, long before I started reviewing on Goodreads and I remember loving it as much as you did :)
    I totally remember the whole Potato song. Haha ! :D
    Beautiful review as always, Hilda ! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, I'm not familiar with Sarah Dessen at all. I think I'll have to look her up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review! I've never read any Sarah Dessen books. Definitely adding this to my to-read list :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing review girl! :D I haven't read any of her books yet, but I bought 'Dreamland' a couple of days ago on a secondhand sale. So I'm planning to get started in that one very soon ^^

    I'm happy that you liked this book so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read anything by Sarah Dessen, yet, but I plan to read something of hers this summer, and I think I'll go with this one! It sounds very cute, and it looks like there's a fabulous romance. I'm glad that you liked the main character in this book, because I read so many books where I just want to slap the MC. I'm glad that that's not the case here! Fabulous review, Hilda! =)

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I love this cover so much better than the US one -- it's so flirty and fun and completely adorable! And I think that you're spot on with that, Hilda! Even though a lot of people prefer other contemporaries that are a little faster, the sweet slower pacing is what MAKES a Sarah Dessen book a Sarah Dessen book! :) Remy & Dexter both sound so quirky and sweet. (I just LOVE his name LOL) And those quotes were really heartwarming!

    Beautiful review for a beautiful-sounding book, Hilda! I've only read a few Sarah Dessen books before but I've made sure to add this one to my summer TBR pile! Who knew plastic forks and spoons could be so romantic? x) <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say that i agree with you on: 'This is official: Sarah Dessen is the best when it comes to contemporary YA...' The first work i read from Sarah Desssen was Along For the ride and i loved it! I was utterly and butterly (Hey, that rhymes! I just had to write it down. Me so weird) in love with it! Sarah Dessen wittig is too drawing to restrain yourself from reading it. I hope i get to read all of her works soon.

    Great review! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit I've never read any of Sarah Dessen's books. But I really should because YA contemporary always blows me away. I love that Remy has to make first time decisions in her relationship with Dexter. That's so sweet. Hope there's a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always want to pick up Sarah Dessen books because I like contemporary novel so much, but too bad, I still have not T^T
    This one sounds so sweet and heart warming, somehow I like the story of a girl who ignorant to love and a boy who finally change it. Those plastic ware thing kinda attract me. Lol. Soon I have to pick this book to be read. Mind to recommend good Dessen's books? :)
    Always great review, Hilda!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of my favouuurite books so I'm glad you enjoyed it! I loved that Remy was a different kind of protagonist and you're right about the plastic ware scene. I also agree about the slow pace of Sarah Dessen novels, it's a slow burn but totally worth it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy Sarah Dessen's book's for exactly the reasons you cite here. I haven't read this book yet, but it does sound delish. Thanx for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Hilda, I really enjoyed your review! You make a good point about Sarah's books following the same formula but they are each unique as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was so great to see a review of a Sarah Dessen book on your blog at this time of the year!!! :D ESPECIALLY This Lullaby which I LOVED! The only book of hers I liked better than This Lullaby was Just Listen! Dexter is super sweet and The Potato Song is hilarious and so awesome :D I LOVE Dessen romances because of all those reasons as well! And it's a great book to read in the summer xD

    AMAZING review, Hilda! The plastic ware scene was so cute, I enjoyed it too and it's so great how Remy takes those baby steps. And THAT QUOTE <33

    ReplyDelete
  18. I believe I've told you this before, but just in case: I've never read a Sarah Dessen book in my life. I should probably run and hide now, huh? Yeah, thought so.
    I do love that awkward first stage of a relationship when you don't know what the limits are, what's okay and which of your actions will be understood as something else. I also appreciate that the herione resolved the situation on her own, that there were no outside interventions.
    Wonderful review as always, Hilda!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome review Hilda! This sounds like a beautiful novel! The spoon scene sounds wonderful! I haven't read a Sarah Dessen book yet but I denfinately want to try one. Maybe starting with this one. I love books set in the summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally in love with this cover Hilda! So Summery and fun! I've actually never read a Sarah Dessen book myself. For some reason I've always thought her books were trashy romance books, but it sounds like I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH MY GOODNESS, THE COVER! If I wasn't so in love with the original cover, I would want the US cover to be this one. :P Anyway, This Lullaby is probably my second favorite Dessen book. (The Truth About Forever is first for me!) Remy and Dexter were so lovable. Your review makes me want to reread this book! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Hilda. Wonderful review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review Hilda!! I absolutely LOVE the quotes and passages yo chose to feature in your review, especially the last one. Remy and Dexter are MEANT TO BE. They remind me that true love conquers all and to never be afraid to follow your heart. <3 Your review is so sweet and amazing, Hilda! Just like you!

    "I have no idea that something as simple as forks and spoons can be a really romantic thing in a book." I LOL'd when I read that, because it's true! I guess that when you are in love, everything seems magical and beautiful, even the smallest and most normal things. <3 But I din't really know because I've never been in love, so.... LOL. :P Lovely review Hilda!! I love reading everything you post! It just makes me smile and totally makes my day. :')

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this cover, Hilda. As I said on GR I did like this Dessen but it wasn't my favorite. Just Listen and The Truth About Forever are my favorites. Awesome review Hilda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the lovely review, Hilda! I remember reading this a few years ago and then giving up on it halfway through. I'm not much of a fan of Sarah Dessen *cue gasps of shock* despite loads of bloggers loving her books. I just can't get into them but your review has convinced me that I might like it... Hopefully I'll be able to read this book during the summer and hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as you did <3

    By the way, thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog, I would happily let you live there >.< I can't take credit for the design though: someone else put it together for me, I just had the ideas hehe :) Your blog is very prettiful too, your header is really creative and absolutely gorgeous <3 Looking forward to reading more of your wonderful posts x

    ReplyDelete
  25. *jumps on rooftop* I LOVE SARAH DESSEN! <3

    Oh... wait... AND I LOVE HILDA FOR BEING SWEET AND ELOQUENT AND AMAZING <3

    I love this review! Remy + Dexter are the cutest and I looooved reading about how they got closer and started to just become so much more as a cause of it. You expressed that perfectly in your review :')

    And awww, the silverware! I totally remember that! Sarah Dessen really has a talent for making the little, seemingly insignificant things count and I love that I can go back and squeal over the forks in a novel, haha.

    Thanks for the awesome review!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  26. I couldn't stop reading this one. I connected on so many levels with the Remy, her mom, and the heroine from her mom's book. It really shows the battle of coming to understand exactly what love is. How are you supposed to know if the one you are with is actually the one?

    Cath Brookes
    Must see Top Towing in Austin TX

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing your opinion so please leave a comment! I will do my best to return the favor, and sometimes I also reply here. Please don't hesitate to share your fabulous thought with me ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...