Thursday, May 10, 2012

Review: Want by Stephanie Lawton



If you want vampires and werewolves, faeries, fallen angels or zombies, you won’t find them here. I know a real-life monster.

Julianne (Juli)’s only wish is to get into New England Conservatory. When her old piano teacher has stroke and his job is transferred to his nephew, Juli thinks that this is a sign. Her new piano teacher, Isaac, is graduated from New England Conservatory. Isaac doesn’t show any emotional feeling at first, but as they spend more time together, he starts to smile and talk more about his past to Juli. But they can’t ever be couple because Isaac is ten years older than her, thus their environment won’t ever accept them. Especially Juli’s mother.

I constantly feel bad for Juli. She is broken, almost beyond repair. Because of her mother, Juli has low self-respect and she is defensive with everyone. And her involvement with Isaac doesn’t help. At first, I thought Isaac would be the one who saved Juli. But then I realize that Isaac is just as broken as his student. Their relationship… it’s not the healthy kind. It’s I-want-you-I-need-you-let’s-die-together-to-escape kind. Somehow their relationship keeps remind me of Wuthering Heights. Fury, possessiveness, fierce love, artistic needs, and things flying. Not a good combination.

I’m not a fan of Isaac. He’s hot one moment and cold the next second. Sometimes he yelled at Juli and he has tendency to run away when things get uncomfortable. I think Juli and Isaac fall in love because they are similar. Way too similar. Together, they shatter each other to bits and pieces.

I like this book because the characters are very real. I was not smitten with Isaac but his friend Dave definitely earned a special place in my heart. Dave is amazing and I love how much he cares for Isaac and Juli. I’m so glad that there is someone who deeply cares about Juli, because seems like everyone else in the story is busy with their own problem. Dave is the light and hope for Juli. It makes me think that sometimes, what you want and what you really need is different.

Want is recommended to fans of mature YA. The story is very emotional and I found myself crying in some parts. The ending, though not perfect, is great and believable. If you’re ever in need of something emotional, heart-wrenching, and realistic, then this is the book for you!

He says much, much more through the piano than he ever does with his spare words. Perhaps this is why he never wants to play for me; he knows I’ll sense whatever it is he doesn’t want to let out. It’s true—there’s something he’s hiding behind the teacher’s critiques and praise.

I leave my body then, transported into the world of heartbreak he creates with his fingertips. I’m suspended in air just like the dust motes, not even aware of breath or heartbeat. For once, I feel…whole? Whatever this is, I want to hold onto it as long as I can.








I rate this book: 
Four cups of tea. Amazing! Love the book, it’s simply awesomeI love the tea flavor!  A strong recommendation.

Many thanks to Stephanie and Enchanted book tour! :)


15 comments:

  1. Wow, this definitely seems like something I want to read. I've been going through a stint of dystopian novels that aren't up to par and I think I could take a break with a serious contemporary book. Excellent review and thanks for sharing!

    PS. That cover is so beautiful and eyecatching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a book that leaves an impression! Beautiful review Hilda. :) I've seen the cover for this but I never knew what it was about. I love it when characters charge a story with so much emotion. I will definitely be checking this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh this book! I think I've seen it before and the cover is SUPER DUPER GORGEOUS. This sounds just like my cup of tea! I need to add this to my TBR and hopefully read it soon!

    Amazing review, Hilda! <3 Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love love LOVE with this cover, and I'm even more in love with this idea now that I've read your beautifully written review! Issac sounds like one of those hot and cold artist types -- how do I know them? No comment LOL -- and I already know my heart will be breaking for Juli. And the romance seems like a fireworks display! It's not healthy or safe, but it's passionate and intense and kind of beautiful in it's own way. :') My favourite kinds of books are ones that make me emotional (even if they make me cry!) and it sounds like Want is definitely one of those books!

    This is the first review I've ever read for this book but it was the PERFECT one to leave an impression! Thanks so much for the beautiful honest words, Hilda! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cover is so gorgeous! :D <3 I remember you telling me about this book on Twitter. I need to get to this soon since I love heart breaking novels xD Well ones that make me cry LOL.

    Great review <33 So glad to hear you enjoyed this one, Hilda, I'll be checking this one out soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow this book sounds utterly heartbreaking, but this is going to sound weird I'm still so excited to read it! Fab review Hilda! I'm so gald you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is very pretty <3 But the book... All that "hot and cold" side of Isaac makes me think I wouldn't enjoy the book that much. This seems like an angsty read, which is fine, but usually makes my mood angsty, too LOL Their love story doesn't convince me, either. Although the artistic / music part of the story is certainly appealing.

    I don't think I'll be picking this one up soon, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Nice review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quote. I know straight away that I'll enjoy the writing in this one. It's such a tragic sounding story and your review is so poignant. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still completely in love with this cover! And I love that it actually has something to do with the story - too often these covers mean absolutely nothing.
    Mature YA with a set of realistic characters, not all of them likable, sounds pretty awesome to me.
    Wonderful review as always, Hilda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh very very interested. A pianist and a 10 year difference? Definitely a mature YA read. It seems like Isaac would give me whiplash, it's so frustrating when their emotions alternate like that. This actually reminds me of one of those artsy indie films, ha. Wonderful review, Hilda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW. First the cover: So wow. It's so gorgeous and breathtaking and gives a whole new spin to the title. And I love the sound of this book, though it sounds very angsty and intense. I love how you described Isaac and Juli's relationship as how together they shattered each other to bits and pieces. It sounds like a very hot and cold relationship!

    I love what Mature YA has to offer these days and Want sounds promising! Absolutely amazing review as always, Hilda ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the cover for this and thanks for reviewing it, I'd never heard of it before now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hilda, as I said on Goodreads, I love your gorgeous review! I will sometimes read a heart-breaker (not too often) and I think this is going to be this one. We'll have to compare notes when I'm done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that cover is just gorgeous!!
    Fantastic review! The book sounds kinda intense, but I'd still love to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A provocative and brilliantly written account of a young adult's struggles towards independence, despite life's obstacles. Highly descriptive and fully engaging, Ms. Lawton has included a powerhouse of social and psychological issues.

    Cath Brookes
    Time to check Thin Brick

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing your opinion so please leave a comment! I will do my best to return the favor, and sometimes I also reply here. Please don't hesitate to share your fabulous thought with me ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...